Wednesday, January 25, 2012

I survived my first week!

Ok, so technically I have been here longer than a week but most of the pictures are all from the first week. It feels more like a month! Things I have learned:

  • You can cross the street when the sign doesn't say walk; if you wait for the walk sign you will never get anywhere on time.
  • Arkansas' cold is not Edinburgh's cold... in short, I'm constantly freezing!
  • The expression "top up" is used for everything from pre-paying your cell phone bill to filling up your glass.
  • Don't go to Banshee Labyrinth. Period.



On my first day (Sunday) we went to orientation and were greeted by a bagpiper. Which was really cool.



After orientation one of my flat-mates Kelly and I went around town attempting to run errands. We did a little sightseeing as well.




The Balmoral hotel again (above) - JK Rowling's fave.









View of the castle from northbridge.






I thought the red door of this church was so picturesque!




Edinburgh Castle!!!!!
On Wednesday we went to the Edinburgh castle! It was FREEZING but very pretty and interesting.


Secret Garden :)




Meredith, Me, and Kelly.



Kelly and I.




The view of the city from the castle parking lot. Yes mom, I  know I'm not standing straight.







Meredith, Colleen, Audrey, Sarah, Kelly, Emily, and I.



Traditional phone booth photo!



View of the city from the castle top, including the harbor.



At 1 o'clock every afternoon they fire a cannon at the castle which triggers the release of a ball from this tower which ships can see and know t 
My favorite photo.





St. Margaret's cathedral; oldest building in Scotland.

















Inside of the cathedral.


Me at the castle top.

And again...

This week included a lot of firsts and new things. So of course, I took a lot of pictures. If you are still reading after those thousand castle pictures...here are some more!

The first meal I cooked here; tortellini soup.

The new college library...where I purchased about 10 books at the book sale. Whoops..

New College courtyard, where I have Greek every MWF.

New college library door...weighs about 100lbs..

New College courtyard again.




This Indian shop is for Christiana. You would not believe how many curry restraunts there are here!



Another of my meal attempts; pesto pasta and chicken with a side salad.

School that JK Rowling drew inspiration for Hogwarts from.

Graveyard where Tom Riddle and McGonnagal's names are found.


New friends Anna and Caitlin from Elephant House. We went grave hunting together.

Venison stew from Mums comfort food cafe.

The Royal Palace where the Queen stays when she visits. Bottom of the Royal Mile.



We also went dancing one night and had a glorious time. The music was almost all American 80's.

Caleb, Jess, (friends from Texas), Audrey, Meredith, Sarah, and I.

Jess and I were really photogenic.

So thats about all that happened this week. Tonight is Meredith's birthday and Burns night. Burns night is huge in Scotland. Burns was a famous poet from Scotland hundreds of years ago and He and Meredith share a birthday! Should be a good night. Saturday I will be going to visit another castle which will probably yield a ton of pictures. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment